|LIFE OF A GT|
|August 4, 2010 - More welding.|
It's hot and dirty work doing the fabrication and welding in the engine bay and under the car, but I'm gradually getting through it. The engine bay is almost completely paneled now, but I still have to do some finishing. Then it's underneath to finish up some frame rail work.
I did pick up the rear axle from the driveline shop today, though. All new bearings, all set up with the Positraction rear. All I need to do is stick the axles in, mount the brakes and voila, that's done. It wasn't a cheap visit to the driveline shop, but at least I know everything's done right and I shouldn't have to do anything to it for a long, long time.
entry 359 - tags: axle, differential, fabrication
|August 12, 2010 - Welding, welding, welding.|
I'm working my way through the car, finishing up all the half-welded sections and fabricating patches for the various holes I had to cut. Some of that work is pretty complex, too - this section of the driver's footwell is assembled out of 9 pieces, including one that wraps around into that big circular cutout for the steering column. Some of the welding isn't pretty. That's what happens when you're trying to work inside/under a car that's on jackstands and hasn't been bead-blasted to nice clean metal. This was some awkward work. I actually sat on the steering rack for some of it.
The good news is that I'm almost done! I just have to finish welding in part of the transmission tunnel and I can move on.
entry 360 - tags: fabrication
|August 12, 2010 - All of the seams on the cockpit will be sealed with seam sealer to ensure they're air/water tight.|
Some of the others in the engine bay - like this one - will simply get ground down before paint. Not all of them need to be, but the ugly ones do. The only piece of stock sheetmetal in this picture is the bit at the upper left with the leftover Aqua paint on it and a little bit at the upper right!
entry 361 - tags: fabrication, engine bay
|August 19, 2010 - The sheet metal work is basically done.|
There's still just a little bit of work to do once the transmission and rear end is back in, but it's time to start getting ready for the final drivetain installation.
The first step was seam sealer. This made me nice and messy, so I didn't take any pictures! But I sealed every seam that was involved in the interior - the footwells, the transmission tunnel and the ventilation system that had to be cut out and reassembled. So now the engine bay was black, green, rusty, bare and more black. Yuk.
entry 364 - tags: fabrication